Monday, March 9, 2009

UNICEF bears in BA

As I mentioned yesterday, there is an exhibit of decorated bears (a la Chestnut Hill and other cities in U.S.) of all the countries in the UN, and the bears a situated merrily in a large circle in Plaza San Martin; the show is traveling to other countries and hopes to generate thinking in global terms. This is our beloved statue of liberty, including the green.
Yesterday I passed the Armour Museum, which was closed, as most things are of a Sunday morning in Buenos Aires, so I photographed some of the cannons outside for my favorite boys, Max and Nicholas.

I am also including some other significant images that speak of things I could never articulate clearly. The first comes from a wonder of our father's wherever we went about who must be polishing all that brass; it was a real concern of his and as I have much of his DNA, I suppose I am blessed/cursed with this same concern.

Finally, I remember when our father died, and we sibs all went down to Florida to clear out the house; when we came to the endless albums of our parents' travels, we tossed most of them, including handwritten notes our mother had written about those trips, many of which celebrated her private moments of relishing an ice cream cone on the hot pavement of a sweltering city. I cannot bear the thought of all that "voice" lost, and so this relentless voice shall at least be aired in cyberspace, if for no other good than in my mother's memory.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! It looks like BA is the last stop for the UNICEF bears: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Buddy_Bears

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe not: http://www.buddy-baer.com/united-buddy-bears/idea/overview.html

    ReplyDelete