Friday, March 13, 2009

Today was Tigre

Even though I am writing this the day after, we will pretend that it's my entry for Thursday, March 12 when I hightailed it to the Retiro train station, got myself a round trip ticket to Tigre and spent the better part of the day in the town or in the delta on a boat or at a cafe on the side of the river. The town itself is lovely in a cracked pavement, precious houses on the water kind of way, and the building that housed the wee Tigre art collection was spectacular with a high walkway out onto a big plaza overlooking the river - Rio Lujan. the train station puts you on the Rio Tigre, and the city itself is surrounded by Rio Lujan and Rio Reconquista, with bridges over into the next town or part of Tigre; I could quite tell and didn't travel over those "foreign" bridges which were not even marked on my little local map. I think the museum is probably used more for functions than for its collection because there was a sign about some gala even being held there this weekend.

The boat ride along the delta took us to all the local stops, which were simply high docks out into the rivers with names on the signs. It looked as though people stood out there and just waited for one of these collectivos to fetch them, and as we journeyed, people got on and off the boat. My destination was 3 Bocas, which apparently had a lovely walking route around the island, but I chose to stay at the welcoming cafe right there on the river - Coca Coca signed umbrellas over each of the tables, protecting each from the sun, which wasn't yet shining. I stayed here for over an hour, reading my Argentine history, eating my beetroot salad with hard boiled eggs and drinking tea; and the sun did begin to shine. Ah, after two days of gray and rain, I did the shameful thing, plopping myself right into that shining orb's rays and soaking up that vitamin D and all the other bad stuff one gets from sunshine. I noticed that the other side of the river had a decidedly Palm Beach aura with something akin to the Lake Trail along the water and some beautiful houses perched on perfectly manicured grass. I got back to BA by 7:00 and home by 7:30. Jack and I stumbled and walked until we found a sushi place, and here is my FINAL WORD: DO NOT BOTHER WITH SUSHI IN BUENOS AIRES!

1 comment:

  1. I hope the sun continues to shine on you! And you stay away from the Sushi.

    ReplyDelete