Sunday, March 8, 2009

Back to Metropolitan Cathedral

Here is the woman working on the miniscule tiles on the floor of the cathedral yesterday. She was the first woman I have seen wearing sneakers.
On the way back from the Cathedral I took the Subte but walked down Jean Juares Street where I nipped into the Charles Gardel Museo. Who the heck is Carlos Gardel, you may ask, and I wouldn't blame you for one second. I certainly had no idea before I went in and probably not more idea when I came out, but know that he was famous. He sang and acted, Tango Bar being his last film, and it was directed by John Reinhardt. Gardel was just beginning a tour at age 44 when he was killed in a plane crash. Fascinating, huh?
Apparently he was THE tango singer in Argentina, bringiing tango to the world through his renown.
Now onto more familiar folk, Don Quixote, a statue of right here on the fattest Avenue 9 de Julio. Ain't it grand? Reminds me that I must read Cervantes; never have and am shamed when my friend David, Chinese, has read all of Proust and all Cervantes.

3 comments:

  1. FINALLY! I had to get all the stars aligned to get the address for your blog that Oonie sent Deirdre and she sent me. How come you didn't send it out to us? huh?
    Anyway, it's wonderful having you there -- I feel like I'm right there with you, but I'm too tired to do all that walking! What a bummer not meeting Jack last night for the opera. Did you ever find out what happened to him? Keep them posts coming girl! I love reading about your adventures!
    xoxoxox your devoted sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlos Gardel is perhaps the most prominent figure in the history of tango. And very dapper (as is appropriate) to boot! ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Gardel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I realize all that now, but who knew when I stumbled into the place, a lovely oasis on a street with clutter, trash, poop and exquisite paintings on houses!

    ReplyDelete